A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Oh the places we go...

One of my all time favorite places to visit in Rochester is the 
Mayowood Bridge
It was built in 1934 and closed in 2006 deemed structurally deficient!
There is talk that funding will be available in 2014,
 to begin repairs on this historic bridge and dam.

 I usually visit several times a year, 
The area involves Mayowood lake, the bridge and dam. 
 On the left is the still reflecting waters of Mayowood Lake

On the right is the the raging water as it passes through the dam 
and follows the path of the Zumbro River. 

 This sign makes me giggle, but I suppose if I go down with the bridge
the authorities could say, "we told you to stay off the bridge"
~~~
Last Saturday, my oldest son Brice and husband were along on this little excursion

My son was very interested in these two items 
He ventured through the fence to explore what was under this contraption
He discovered a large door that at one time was lifted by this pulley system, to let water through on the side of the dam.  Not sure the purpose but for now it eased his curiosity.


I hope the repairs wont change the looks of Mayowood bridge,
For now I'll just enjoy it as it is, a beautiful historic landmark!


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful old bridge. I do hope when they repair it that it retains its original character and charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great place! There's a white house near there that is for sale that I LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worried about the same thing when the historic viaduct in Faribault was redone. For the most part, it looks the same. This is a beautiful bridge. Is this near the Mayowood home? Do I have that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful, I haven't been out there for years. Have you read the Brothers Mayo book? It talks a little about Mayowood while Dr Charlie owned it and how he loved the surrounding area and lake. All so very cool!

    ReplyDelete