A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Green Thumb Mamma

Today I went out to my mom & dad's for a little visit.
They still live in the house I was raised in, just 5 miles south of Rochester, 
The house sits on a 3/4 acre lot with plenty of beautiful plants adorning the grounds.
Mom and I have the tradition of walking around looking at the beautiful flowers...
...pulling up a few weeds and admiring mom's gorgeous plants  
 Miniature hollyhocks from my aunt Helens garden's
 Then there's the apple tree....
 This is only the beginning of what's to come
The most beautiful plant of all is this GIANT hibiscus 
I didn't have a ruler but that bloom had to be 6-8 inches in diameter 
there are still tons of buds just waiting to open.... I want!
 Green tomato's
Large Hollyhocks....do you remember my past post on mom's Hollyhock dolls???
stay tuned for a repeat post, coming soon...

10 comments:

  1. Everything is stunning! I want that hibiscus too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had room for a Hibiscus but I dont especially one that large!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the visit daughter #1. It's fun to stroll around and look at all the flowers and weeds :). Come again soon. I have to rake apples again today.:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many apples mom....it's crazy! Dont hurt your back!

      Delete
  3. Your mom's flowers are, oh, so beautiful. I had no idea there were miniature hollyhocks. Such an old-fashioned flower which I remember planted by the milkhouse on the farm where I grew up.

    Your tradition of walking around your mom's place looking at her flowers is one I follow, too, not with my mom because she really can't garden any more, but with friends and family who do. And when my girls come home, I make them walk around my house to see my flowers. They probably think, silly Mom. Oh, well. Traditions are sweet.

    Are those apples throw-aways or edible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if they are edible, I know they dont spray, so lots of bug holes. I think mom keeps some that are larger and not wormy...she freezes the apples for pies etc. This year is a bumper crop!

      Delete
    2. She makes an amazing apple dumpling too....I'm getting hungry :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Perennials are so fun to watch grow and mature:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had her large yard, I'm kind of limited with our city lot :(

      Delete