A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Home of the free...because of the Brave


..."and I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free,
and I wont forget the men who died, who gave that right to me" ~Lee Greenwood

Flags line the country cemetery in Old Concord.
A reminder of those who fought,
 and many who gave their lives to keep our country free....
Thank You!

For several years its been a tradition for me and my sister to go with my mom to the family cemetery where many from both sides of her family are buried.
After paying respect to those who have gone before us, we usually drive out to Grandma's farm.
 I have many memories, of going to the farm as a little girl.
The old farm house is now gone, and what's left of the barn isn't much.


Audrey and Brianna were able to come with us this year, 
Audrey was quite interested in her Great-Great-Great-grandparents grave marker.

She spent some time looking at the grave marker above, (no relation) finally she said, 
"Grandma, this person was probably a president, or someone very special". 
When I asked her why she would think that she said, 
"because it has hearts on it" (sweet girl)
  
My niece Jensen (Audrey's 2nd cousin) and Audrey check out the working water pump.
~ ~ ~
Home of the free....
because of the Brave!

2 comments:

  1. It was a fun day. The lunch was yummy, and lots of memories of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute. And those flags, perfect. I miss going to the cemetery "back home" to see the tombstones of loved ones and remember them.

    ReplyDelete