A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Monday, November 6, 2017

A special "Community Service Project"

My daughter has been doing some home schooling with Carson this year. 
He has a summer birthday and one more year at home with momma is always a good thing!
His 1st field trip to my house involved making apple pies.
Today we had another grandma field trip which I decided would include a 
 Community Service Project.
The community which may at first seem selfish to my readers involved a community of 7 people.... Carson's family, Rick and I, and Uncle Gavin

Let me explain.....
Carson mom (my daughter) Brianna, worked 13 hours Saturday night, had 8 hours of sleep then went back to work another 12hours, which got her to this morning. She then went home, got Audrey ready for school and Carson ready for Grandma's house so that she could not sleep mind you, but go directly to Audrey field trip a Quarry hill. Yes, that's my daughter she worked all night, came home and won't sleep until later tonight, knowing her... probably not until midnight or after.
So back to the Community Service Project.
I thought it would be fun to surprise Brianna with dinner for tonight, so I incorporated a little teaching session on serving others during my time with Carson. We decided that it would give mama a night off from thinking about what to make for dinner. 
And the other half of the meal stays with us and we invite Gavin to dinner WIN/WIN
The best part was Carson and I spending time together, cooking.
 Seriously other than me browning the hamburger and helping with measurements, 
he made the pizza burger mix by himself!

That's not all
 Then it was on to making Chocolate chip cookies....
For dessert  :) 
 Of course there were a few small nibbles .
I made the home-made Chip dip and we sent a bag of chips to go with the Pizza Burgers.

On a side note, I put together a list of all the Carbohydrates in the meal 
so Brianna didn't even have to do that. 
It was more just practice for me since Brianna and Chris are wizards when
 it comes to calculating carbs.
November is National Diabetes Awareness Month
Since Carson's Pancreas doesn't work, (he is a Type 1 Diabetic),  
all the carbohydrates he consumes have to be covered with synthetic insulin. 
Something that we who have functioning Pancreas's take for granted. 

8 comments:

  1. Great idea! Hoping Brianna gets some good sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) She is a superwoman, I hope she sleeps too, although I think it'll catch up to her tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for spending such quality time with Carson and teaching about service, and cooking to I! You are the best! I’m going to attempt to go to bed early tonight, we’ll see! Thank you for all you do. Supper was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had so much fun, love cooking with him!!! Glad you enjoyed your supper! Sleep tight tonight :)

      Delete
  3. What a great example you are setting for Carson. And what a wonderful gift to Brianna and her family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time cooking together,and they did indeed love their dinner.

      Delete
  4. This is amazing, and Carson is TOO ADORABLE FOR WORDS. I love that Brie is doing this, and I love that Grandma gets to teach some of the lessons!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, thanks Jackie, I agree...Too adorable for words :)

      Delete