A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Weekend in DesMoines

This past weekend Rick and I had a little anniversary get-away.
You may wonder why we chose DesMoines Iowa?

No particular reason... We wanted warmer, we wanted to golf and we thought it would be fun to stay somewhere we've never been. So it was a random choice. I checked the internet for forecasts and nice cities south of us.

DesMoines it was

1st stop... Iowa's state capitol
(reflection in a nearby building)


Looking back at downtown DesMoines

Jordan Creek was a large 2 story mall.
We spent the afternoon shopping, we had supper right there at Champps,
then ended the evening at the movie theater.

Rick is very much into his ancestors and I love cemeteries so...
...just a few miles from our hotel was a cemetery.
In it are many of Rick's Grandma Mildred's family... the Poggenpohls.
Above he matched the picture of his great-grandpa P. with his gravestone.

We had a tee-time Saturday afternoon at Beaver Creek golf course.
We had a nice time...we wont talk about our scores.
~~~
A little bit about our Hotel.
I was so pleased where we ended up.
Again, without knowing anything about DesMoines, I had to guess what area would be the best to stay. I chose West DesMoines, little did I know it's the ritzy part of town, and it was within miles of everything we did.... that was a plus!!!


It had a farm theme with farm decor which was so cool.

Dining room
Glass top round table, sitting on a metal box which had carved out animals.
Metal chairs with farm animals backs

Sitting area looking over the dining room into the pool area.

Artwork
this was an old windmill taken apart and painted then arranged
on the wall in a contemporary kind of way

These two coffee tables were made out of old barn doors
they were sooooo cool .
If I had a farm house I would be making room for a couple of these.

Last but not least....
three old screen doors, painted then hung side by side on the wall
with coat hooks place across the top.

The farm-girl (wanna be), part of me
wants to move into an old farm house just to have one of these coat racks.

It just wouldn't quite "fit" in my contemporary looking house.

4 comments:

  1. Happy, happy anniversary! I'm with you..I love, love, love the tables and screen doors. Super ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tables and doors are cool. You could do the doors in your house. It's totally cool and Ok to mix styles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed our fair city!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, I love the fun farm style in your hotel too:)

    ReplyDelete