A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Monday, August 28, 2017

Tee-shirt are for more than wearing...

I learned to crochet when I was a little girl. 
Our neighbor lady Irene taught me.  
My very first project was a Pancho.
 Remember we are talking early 70's.... 
so it took me awhile to find a photo of this retro poncho.
The style was like this with the frayed bottom and little pom pom ties.
(Photo taken from Pinterest)
I still remember it, mostly red with a couple of white stripes.

anyway.... that's when I learned the art of crocheting.
I have never done anything other than a few small blankets and some dish rags...
until this summer!

 I found a Community Education class for 
"Crochet a Rag Rug"
A rug crocheted from old tee shirt.

Between my husband and myself, I had plenty of old teeshirts.
so I signed up to make this rug made of tee shirts.

 I needed to purchase a "G" size crochet hook, it's very large.
The tee shirts are cut into one continuous 1" strip, you start at the bottom and cut round and round until you get to the armpits and that's where you end the strip.

 No rhyme or reason to the color scheme, this one's just for practice.

Cutting the 1" strip

This is such a fun project, but I found out those 10 tee-shirts that we brought to class 
were only just for getting started. It will probably take about 20 to finish the rug, 
depending of course on how big I want it to end up.

here's where I'm at..... 
I haven't finished yet but I intend to get her done soon, 
maybe a fall project for the cabin.

Anyone else ever attempted a rag rug made of tee-shirts?

8 comments:

  1. Fun! Teach me how!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gather some more T-shirts and let me know when you have time and we'll get together!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Get some tee-shirts together, it would be fun to get together.

      Delete
  3. I have cousins who make these kids of rugs. I've always said..."I should try making that!"...but haven't ever tried. Your's is beautiful so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of addicting Miranda :)

      Delete
  4. What a cool idea and great reuse of old tees. I learned to crochet during home ec class in the 1970s. I crocheted an afghan once, but that's all I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done some afghan's as well, but It's been awhile.

      Delete