A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Saturday, September 5, 2020

Non-weight bearing, Elevation & Drugs...oh my!

I first saw the Orthopedic surgeon 12 years ago about my sore big toe joint. 
After x rays and an exam, he told me to let him know when I was ready for surgery. 
Those who know me, know that I am never in a hurry to take care of my own matters. I probably felt too guilty about leaving work short-handed, I'm guessing I had a brand new 1st grandbaby that I wanted to be there for, and I just felt it could wait.....like always.

NOW, 12 years later the pain has got the best of me and it's affecting my lifestyle.
It took a lot for me to pursue seeing an orthopedic surgeon again, but the stars and moon seemed perfectly aligned, my job for the moment seemed adequately staffed (that all changed the week I finally scheduled surgery) but I stuck with the plan anyway. 
My manager was informed of the surgery date prior to the 2 employees announcing their leaving, ugh... I guess there is never a good time for having surgery.

My diagnosis: 
Severe Hallux Rigidus
My surgeon told me I had a "horrible" looking joint, and just shook his head.
He showed me the old x rays from 12 years ago and told me how it was much worse now than before.

Here's his discription.... there was lots of Googling on my part


Below is a close up of the spurs. 
They also shaved off the top of the joint and 
cleaned up between the joint where the cartilage used to be.


Surgery was yesterday, They did a nerve block in my ankle and gave me some sedation.
I guess all went well, my foot was numb until 3am this morning then the pain kicked in.

 Elevation and drugs

My next appointment is Tuesday to get this dressing off and a hard cast will be put on.
Three weeks of no weight-bearing, then another exchange of casts. Repeat.....





3 comments:

  1. This was so interesting, to see the x-rays complete with your notes. I understand the reluctance to undergo surgery. There's never a good time...until one's lifestyle is compromised by the issue. I'm thankful all went well and that you are on the other side of the operating room. Take care, rest and don't push yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Audrey, we plan to go up to the cabin hoprfully this weekend, the "Single level" and larger bathroom will be easier to manuver, and the scenery and sounds are very healing for me.

      Delete