A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Saturday, July 9, 2022

It's been a rough week...

It's been a rough week at the Hemmer's.
Covid reared it's ugly head for beginners 

and then...
My sweet dad had a couple of rough days, which lead to a more urgent search for memory care placement, We also beckoned some help from hospice, and the visiting angels.
 He is advancing in the decline, 
Dementia is a cruel disease.


The last 6 months have proven to take a toll on dad, excessive weight loss, more confusion, weakness, More "bad days" but still some good days and much more sleeping.
All of these things are the normal progression for dementia/parkinsons disease.

A few weeks back, my siblings and I visited two Memory care facilities, 
we had planned to visit 2 more before deciding, but dad is too weak, unsteady, 
confused and needs more care than us 4 kids and mom can provide.
 For now we are all taking turns staying with mom and dad (day & night) until he is "placed" this week. 
We never wanted to make this decision for my dad (parent) but there comes a time when circumstances sort of make the decision for you. As the adult children of our parents we want to be 100% there for them, but we all still work and have bills to pay. Three of us 4 kids live out of town, and when it comes right down to reality, and most importantly...we are not equipped anymore to physically care for our dad.
 
So many of you have had to go through this process, we are not the first and wont be the last, for those of you that have been through it, you know the pain, the second-guessing and anguish.
I have been doing a lot of praying this week! I know a God who is all-knowing, 
He is a God of perfect timing, and I believe He will see us through this together as a family. 

We will continue to love Dad the way we do... he taught us well.

If you're the praying type please pray for our family as we navigate through this coming week.
It will be hard on all of us

My brother Randy sitting with Dad on the 4th
Rick and I missed this annual event at mom & dad's because of Covid.

He adores all his grand and great-grand kids
(just 3 weeks ago)

A few years ago, us 4 celebrating Dad's birthday.

This was a little over a week ago, Dad had a good day this day.
It's crazy how fast he declined in a week. 
 I'm hoping we can still have more rides in the country, and stops for coffee and treats
Love you dad,

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jackie, I am deeply sorry for all you and your family are going through right now. Of course, I will pray. I will reach out to you via email. I only now just saw this; we were at the cabin.

    ReplyDelete