A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Sunday, March 12, 2023

Transistions....

After Dad passed away last October,
 My mom mentioned a few times that she didnt know how much longer she would be able to stay at the home she and dad had shared (and raised their family) for the last 63 years
The homestead (as we call it) is a large 4 bedroom rambler on 3/4 of an acre out in the country,
 5 miles South of Rochester
The home I grew up in

A lot of things have happened since Thanksgiving when My big brother anounced that he and his wife would be buying mom's home... Mom and he had talked and she was ready for the next chapter in her life.
She was actually thrilled to know the house would stay in the family!
It's been a whirlwind since November with us four kids pitching in to help mom 
downsize, get-rid-of, and sell some of the big stuff.
I think the hardest part was my brothers having to go through my dad's shop. 
Dad saved EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING. 
There is still alot to be done but my brother will pick away at that in time.

The day before the move to mom's new apartment (which is ironically called "The Homestead")

The months leading up to this day were busy with going through all the closets, rooms, kitchen cabinets and drawers, to start the process....there were many trips to the dump and Goodwill. 

The day before the move we had lots of helpers to assist with the final packing 

My daughter Brianna, grands Audrey & Carson and my sister

Move-in day was March 4th
While my sis and little brother were back at mom's running the show, I was on the other end waiting for the movers to arrive so I could direct them where to put the boxes.

My little brother Randy, posing with mom in her home before leaving to her new home.

I took a few pictures of mom's new place before the movers arrived
Entry door on the right, kitchen on the left.

Looking in from the entry into her living room

Her bedroom with walk-in closet

My sister and I bought a bouquet and popcorn to welcome her to her new apartment

The move went well and we spent most of Saturday unpacking her boxes and setting up the apartment
My sweet daughter wanted to help grandma move in so here she is getting the kitchen organized.
Taking a break to just "chill" with mom

It was a big day and a little hard leaving mom to her first
 night alone in the apartment....
Fast forwarding to the next day, she said she slept like a baby.

I think we ALL feel good about the move, mom is in a safe place, only about 2.5 miles from Rick and I.
We will continue to unpack more boxes and organize in the coming days
My dear husband has already been busy making mom's place better for her. His joy is in serving others! He has been such a big help with my parents thru the years, and my mom & dad have loved him since they first met him! In the photo he is hanging a couple of wire baskets to hold her spices which gives her easy access and more room in her cabinets for other things. 

I think she was glad to have some peace & quiet and acclamate to her new home.
Enjoy your new place mom, it fits your well.


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:14 PM

    She is blessed to have children who take such good care of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:15 PM

    She is blessed to have children who take such good care of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your family all worked together to make your mom's move as easy as possible. That she was ready to move is a big plus. And the fact that your childhood home remains in the family is such a blessing. I expect you will enjoy many more holiday gatherings in that rambler.

    ReplyDelete