A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Friday, October 30, 2009

Once a year

Unlike today, where you can pop a movie in the DVD and watch any production ever made, anytime you want, and pay as little as a buck at the "red box"...

Our kids will really never know the days of having to wait a WHOLE YEAR to watch a favorite movie on TV. So yeah, I guess that's aging me even though I dont feel "aged".

I kinda cherish those days of only having 3 channels on TV and having to wait for that one or two special movies that come around only once a year. It made it extra special. Our whole family plopped in front of the TV and waited for the show to start. I still get excited thinking about it.



Can you think of a movie I might be thinking of ?

We've all seen it....

It happens to be my favorite and I would still rather watch it on TV than pop it into the DVD player. Have you guessed yet?

Here's a clue....

***

That's right, The Wizard of Oz

In my younger years, I was asked by many strangers (people had never meet me before) this question....
"Do you know who you look like?"
and since I had heard it sooo many times I would respond...

"Judy Garland ?"

I dont necessarily see it, but ok... I took it as a compliment :)

A few years back Gregory Maguire came out with the book "Wicked" and later a broadway play was produced. I read the book twice and attended the play in Chicago with Brianna.
I would love to see it again, and I will

As a huge fan of, dorothy, the witches, the Lion, tinman and scarecrow,
I was thrilled when Maguire came out with his next book, "Son of a witch", and now most recently, "A lion among men"


The charatcter development of the witches, and the other character in the story are different, they are recreated through their eyes. Did you know that the good witch, Glinda and the Wicked witch of the west (Elphaba) were roommates in college? Well they were :)
Oh I know it's fantasy, but it's fun to read why the wicked witch is green, Why the "cowardly Lion is...cowardly and there's just so much more. If you like the "Wizard of Oz" you will love these books.
***
Do you have one of those Movies that you just couldnt wait to watch on TV...
once a year? I would love to hear which ones you loved !

7 comments:

  1. I have too many fantastic movies that I really like so I can't name them all. One of my fav's is "Oaklahoma."

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI....Wizard of Oz is playing at Rochester Civic Theater Dec 4-20th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's the great pumpkin charlie brown. I have it...i own it...but i still love to watch it on tv like i did as a kid...OH and Garfield's Christmas. they don't play that one anymore, but thank goodness a good friend of mine bought it for me on DVD. I can always watch it now. whew.

    i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Christmas Story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's a Wonderful Life" is my most favorite movie to watch at Christmas..actually, I'd probably watch it in July too! Even though I own it, I'll sit in front of the tv and watch it every time it is played thru the holidays. Thanks for asking!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously? This was the one I couldn't wait to see too!! If there was a year I had to miss it I would cry! Still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh! I forgot one more!! A Christmas Carol! LOOOve This!!

    ReplyDelete