A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

and there he was...


Finally....

Along west river road on the other side of the river, high in the trees sits a giant eagles nest...
and if you're lucky you will see and eagle, or two.

I have been driving by for weeks attempting to get a glimpse of the guys who inhabit that nest.
I either don't have my camera on the day they are perched or they simply aren't there.
Well yesterday I drove by (with camera along for the ride) and there he was...one of the two sitting out on a branch soaking in the sun. Three cars were pulled over in front of me, just gazing at this majestic bird. It wasn't that long ago that these lovely bird were on the endangered list, now they are abundant again, I'm still in awe every time I see one of these guys!

I took this photo last October along the river near Redwing, MN
Fun fact...
Many species of eagles lay two eggs, but the older, larger chick frequently kills its younger sibling once it has hatched. The dominant chick tends to be the female, as they are bigger than the male. The parents take no action to stop the killing.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing photos. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eagles are such majestic creatures. The photos are stunning. As far as packaging the love journals, I have done a couple different things. I always print the poem on card stock and use a fun font/coordinating ink color. I cut it to size and place inside the very front of the journal. With the journals I posted I tied a cute ribbon around the front of them. The ones that I have given for weddings usually snap closed, so with that type of journal I just wrap it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie!! That fact made my heart sink. How sad that those female birds kill their little brothers (or sisters). Well i guess the big brothers aren't innocent either, but that's just so sad.

    What beautiful pictures of them though. Wow, they really are majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching the eagle's nest on west river road too and have seen the eagle a few times this winter:)

    ReplyDelete