A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

There is more to Duluth than Lake Superior....

Lake Superior is a big draw for Duluth, as well as the harbor and the lift-bridge.
photo from 2013

 If you've never seen the ocean it's a good substitute for the viewing benefits ... 
most would not choose to swim in the frigid cold waters of Lake Superior as it stays 
very cold even in the summer, although our crazy kids did swim in it a few times,
 but they are kids and they'll do anything.
Rick and I have actually watched surfers on some the substantial waves of Lake Superior.

The views change a little in the winter. It's not shipping season so the lift-bridge is dormant for a few months, but still worth a walk around the harbor to get some fresh air.
The winter bring strong winds off the lake, even me... "the winter lover" can't stay out in the elements for long as wind gusts of 30-40 mph hit the area over the weekend.
Notice the smile.... that's not just for the camera! 
I loved everything about this day
The shipping lane is clear of ice, but beyond that...it's solid

There is more to Duluth than Lake Superior, it's a beautiful city full of 
amazing homes Mansions, parks and gardens. 
Sometimes we just drive...and look! 

Rick and I also enjoy trying new restaurants in the area
 "Canal Park Brewery" was recommended by a co-worker. We were not disappointed.

On this visit (being off-season, and affordable) we decided to stay right in Canal Park. 
The shops and many restaurants are within walking distance and we love not having to drive everywhere we go.   *It was much cheaper not having to pay for parking (with a time limit)

Rick and I both love to browse the shops
 I thought of my son Brice when I picked up this moose made of leather. 
I took the photo and sent it to him as I knew he would enjoy this, being a leather craftsman himself.

 This row of hats made me think I my son Gavin... 
the man who always has a hat on his head.

then I saw this.....Truth in my heart!


Sunday morning we attended a church service in a little church on a hill. "East Ridge" was very similar to the church we attend in Rochester and also much like our church we attend up north. 
Sorry for the blurry image but behind the worship team was a large window with
 a back drop of woods. Just Beautiful... I think we found our church in Duluth.

 The view from our hotel room

and then the sunrise.

Thanks for following along on our trip to Duluth, does anyone else love Duluth? 
What are some of your favorite things to do in the area, I have only shared a few.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, you have just sold me on visiting Duluth in the winter. Randy suggested a few weeks ago that we head up there, but I declined. "Who wants to go to Duluth in the winter?" I asked. Well, you and Rick, that's who. And now I see why. As always, stunning images. That one of you is beautiful. Did you get that sign for your cabin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is enough to see in the winter, it's just different! We also enjoyed just having time to relax without feeling like we needed to be out doing something every second. We did not get the sign, we already have one that is similar, but I do like that one. :)

    ReplyDelete