A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

It is what it is....

Minnesota Winters....thoughts?

I think the first thing that comes to mind for most is.... "TOO LONG". 
At least that's what I hear in conversations around me.  
Since it is officially Spring, I will give those who dislike winter the benefit of the doubt.
BUT... I must set the record straight.
I keep hearing that we have had 6 month of winter and people are "sick of it".
Well to set the record straight, this was the picture of "winter" in November....
This was November 27th, the high for the day was 60 degrees. 
I dont think we can count November (at least this season) as a month of winter.
Therefore, December-January-February-March and 4 days of April have involved snow and cold.
 That's 1/3 of the year folks, NOT 6 months like I hear some saying. 

Now that I've got that off my chest, I will sympathize with those who have "had enough"!
Yes.... it is Spring and when we think of spring we think of flowers, more time outdoors 
warmer temperatures and putting in the garden. 

Be patient my friends for without winter first, there would be no spring. 

Here's my take on winter.
I love it....probably my second favorite season behind fall.
It slows me down, I am able to rest, enjoy peace & quiet and simple beauty is all around me.
The cold is invigorating, it's fresh and cleanses my senses.
I like sweaters, and jeans, but no socks....no socks.
I like to walk in the winter, I love road trips in the winter, the contrast is vivid and 
everything looks like high-definition to the naked eye.
No filter, no editing tickery... just plain old winter-contrast

I went for a drive this morning as I usually do after a big snowfall. I drive slow, 
I notice things around me, I appreciate the beauty of winter and country mixed together

A winter barn almost blends in with the snow

 Our official measuring spot,  almost 7 inches here in NW Rochester.

 My backyard, I love the snow weighted branches of our pine trees.

It would be hard to convince someone who's not from Minnesota that this is April.

Fear not those are heavy burdened...... 
the 50's are coming next week.... Spring IS on it's way  :)

4 comments:

  1. Yea, good for you! I think one of the best things about living in Minnesota is winter. The slowing down, getting indoor projects worked on, reading books, and no sweating or swatting bugs. Summer is long enough. I can never get all I want to do in the winter. I also like snow. Nothing worse than a brown winter. All that said....I was a little sad that I had to get my winter coat out again. And I am anxious to watch my garden and flowers come to life. Ya, I also love spring, summer and fall. Aren`t we lucky to live in Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, another winter lover! I appreciate the change of seasons in Minnesota, but summer is not my favorite, the heat and humidity do not mix well for me. Thanks for stopping by KC

      Delete
  2. I will try to be more positive. (Just don't read my blog post already in draft for tomorrow.) I love your attitude. And I love that barn image. The contrast of red barn jolting against blue sky is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to feel bad about not being as enthused about winter as I am. I think you are more the "norm". It's time for Spring to come, even I will admit that :)

      Delete