A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Saturday, October 19, 2019

"Closing" in the snow

 Every fall I create a post about closing our cabin!
It's kind of a big deal for us... bittersweet
 I like going back and looking at each year that we close.
Some of it looks the same but this year, "week #2" looked quite a bit different then the past years....

It generally takes us 2 times up to "close the cabin" 
The first week is Pine needle and yard clean up
 We have no problem filling our trailer.

We take the boat in to get winterized and Rick starts the process of taking the dock apart.
In the photo above he's headed out with a ladder to get the canvas off the boat lift.

We looked ahead at the forecast and knew what was coming for week #2....

30 degrees for a high and SNOW, I think Mother Nature got her wires crossed.
October is a VERY busy month for us and it wasn't an option to reschedule.
Both of our boys set aside this weekend to be there to help. 
This was Saturday Morning, about 1 inch of snow fell
 by afternoon the snow was disappearing

Best part for me was hanging out with my grands
 They were eager to get out and play in the snow

 running and making snow angels :)
and snowmen

 My oldest son just hanging out in his chest-waders...no reason!

Getting ready to bring the boat lift in
I love my boys, so grateful for their help.

But it wasn't all work... 
 Uncle Gavin loves to play
Love!

 Of course there is always the making of something that involves dumping-in stuff and stirring.
 Sipping hot cocoa and playing games with grandma.

 Our closing crew left on Sunday Morning, always sad to see them go.
 Rick and I had til Tuesday to finish up.
For me that means, doing some laundry, and cleaning, 
then getting all the liquids and food perishables gathered to take home.
Did I mention mouse-proofing?
I have yet to see evidence of the little critters.
 I don't like the mess they make or the added work they create so
 I am thrilled we have not had that issue. 

Rick used to blow the water lines out and all that, but we now are letting someone else do that for us,
It's a lot of work and take a good 4 hours. 
We buy the pink liquid otherwise known as Marine Antifreeze for the company to use,
 it keeps things from freezing up.

Off we go, another season gone and a good one it was. 
We do look forward to spring when we start all over again, but....
I dont want it to come too soon as I want to be still for awhile and enjoy the peace of winter.

2 comments:

  1. Even though you all did lots of work to close the cabin, the fun factor definitely was a part of the process. I love seeing these photos and all the love and joy they represent. I'm so happy for you, dear friend, to have these sweet cabin memories, even if some involve snow (which I know you love).

    ReplyDelete