A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Early Spring visit to the cabin.

We call it our "Early spring visit"
The cabin is not officially "open". 
We hire a company to close our cabin in the fall and then open in the spring. 
They blow all the water lines out in the fall so that if something breaks in the spring they are responsible to fix it. They are due to come anytime. 
Until then we  Rick hauls lake-water up so we can flush the toilet, and we buy bottled water or use the neighbors water for drinking and washing-up. It's and adventure that's for sure.

In the morning we get to see the sunrise over the lake, and at night we get to see the sun's reflection off the opposite side of the lake, this is how my iPhone captured it.
I kid you not, it's quite spectacular.

We have a pair of loons that troll the shoreline in front of our cabin every year, 
it's always good to see them back again.

Rick and I have been looking to replace several light fixtures in our cabin,
We were looking for more modern, yet rustic...cabin-like.
we finally found what we were looking for..... 
Not the best "before" photo, but you get the idea, this is our sun room 
with a plain generic ceiling light fixture.

after...
Love this beauty, it fits right in with our decor.

Before...
I have despised this hanging dining room light fixture from the beginning,
 it reminds me of the 1970's.
 
After...
I LOVE our new fixture, it's perfect!

Close up... it's a burlap-like shade with a metal cage over the Edison light bulbs.
it has a soft warm glow...so perfect.

I also was not thrilled with the hanging fixture in our bedroom.
We replaced it with the generic bedroom fixture that was in our sunroom.
Much better!
I think we have the light fixtures all covered now :)

We relaxed, did some reading and putz'd in the yard.
Raking the pine needles and picking up sticks is always a spring task.
It's part of being a cabin owner.

We left yesterday with snow in the forecast, 
I really would have liked to be there to see it.
I guess I have to make-do with our neighbors photo of their backyard.
So pretty.

We plan on heading back up in a few weeks to running water and warmer temperatures.
can't wait.


 

5 comments:

  1. What a difference those light fixtures make. That old one in your dining room is similar to the one over my dining room table. Perhaps it's time for an upgrade. But first I'd love a complete kitchen/dining room redo. In my dreams.

    And that sunrise photo, WOW. That is beyond beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey, We all certainly have different tastes and I’m sure your light fixture looks great where you have it. A friend of mine is actually wanting one of the old light fixtures from the cabin for her home... a prime example of “one person‘s trash is another person‘s treasures“, ha ha!

      Delete
  2. That's true. But I really really like the new light over your table. Is it from Menards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a LONG time to finally find the perfect dining room fixture. We found both lights on a website called "Lamps Plus". Menards just didn't have what we were looking for .

      Delete
  3. Thank you. I will try to remember that...when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete