A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Winter/Spring get-away Part 3

Can we just talk about....the waves 


On a recent trip to the North Shore of Lake Superior we were lucky enough to see some significant waves. Rick guessed some were reaching 6-8 feet.
BIG waves for a lake but in many way mimics an ocean.

This was a chilly windy day at Stoney Point, a popular surfers delight
At least for Minnesota surfers.

They wear a "Dry Suit" to keep the frigid water out. 
Coverings also cover their feet and hands, the only thing exposed is the face.

Can you spot that surfer dude inside the wave?
This photo was taken with my "zoom lens", he was quite a ways out.

We sat for over an  hour watching the strength and power of this great lake,
she did not disappoint! 

The sound is like no other.

I was hoping for upload a video of the crashing waves but no such luck :(

4 comments:

  1. All the Great Lakes hold wonderful sights (and memories for me) --- have you been to any of the other Great lakes? Once when Kirk and I took friends to Lake Michigan (who had never seen a Great Lake) were sure it was the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only seen Lake Michigan while in Chicago. And yes I’m sure they all look like oceans so huge. I always think of superior as an ocean just because of the huge waves and the surfing so crazy for Minnesota. What other great lakes have you been to?

      Delete
  2. This is a side of Superior I haven't seen. And, yes, I, too, view these as "oceans." But then again I've only ever seen the ocean once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a powerful lake, but can be tranquil at the same time.

    ReplyDelete