A mix of photography, recipes, personal thoughts, faith, and lots of family stuff, but not necessarily in that order.

Sunday, June 18, 2023

I miss you Dad…

 I took a drive the other day without you dad. 

It would’ve been the drive to hang out together as we did so often. 

This Father’s Day the seat next to me was empty, but I felt your presence regardless.

I made the trek down to what you called “God‘s country“ its where you grew up on the family farm
 and went to school in the country schools! 

The Amish were in the fields, you would have got a kick out of this!


I found the farm your dad bought, the last one before he and grandma moved to the city in Cresco Ia! 
All of the original buildings are gone. There’s an old, rusty, windmill, hard to see in this picture, 
but I bet it’s the original windmill from the old farm.


I wish I would’ve done a better job of “pinning“ all of the places we used to go!
 The stories will stick with me and just driving on the country roads bring back good memories
 of time spent with you.

One of my favorite places we always visited was Grandpa Andrews farm near Canton! 
Many times we drove down this path, that led out to what used to be the farm!

All that’s left of it now is the windmill that Grandpa Andrew’s built. 
You and I would always get out of the car and checked the corn to see how it was coming along, 
so I did that...
It felt weird not having you there in person, but I felt your presence as I stood on the land, once farmed by my maternal great grandfather

I love this photo I took of you a few years back!

I’m guessing this was in the fall 
after the corn had been harvested, 
Oh, and Just a little update for your dad the corn looks like it’s doing well this spring,
 I think the farmers are going to have a good year 

I miss our drives Dad! 
This 1st one without you was hard but I will continue our country road trips and remember the stories you shared with me! I'll smell that country air, walk on my ansestors land, visit the gravesites of family and make sure to notice how the crops are doing.


Happy 1st Fathers Day in Heaven
Miss you and Love you

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jackie, these firsts are the hardest. But what a lovely way to honor your dad, with that country drive. This is a beautiful and loving tribute to your dad. And your images are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete